I’m sure you can agree that when you pick up your vape at the end of a long day, the last thing you want is to have to look at a gunky tank and taste a burnt flavor. The dark patches of old liquid solidified against the side of your atomizer and the taste of burnt cotton can ruin your vaping experience, sometimes before it’s even begun.
After having your vape for a while, you’ll definitely want to start doing some basic vape maintenance—mainly, cleaning your device. A dirty vape has a huge effect on your vaping experience, robbing you of the thick, delicious clouds that you’re looking for.
Keeping the different parts of your device clean will help you keep getting those flavorful hits you’ve come to expect from your vape.
The most basic thing you can do to ensure this is rinsing out your tank every time you change vape juices or flavors. This will get rid of any old liquid stuck to the side of your tank and let you get the full flavor of your new e-juice.
However, if you feel that the performance of your vape is lacking, you may want to try more thorough cleaning techniques.
Cleaning Your Vape Tank
A tank that hasn’t been cleaned in a long time is not a pretty sight. E-liquid starts to solidify and ‘gunk’ up the glass, while every new flavor takes on a sickening brown-ish color.
To combat this, there are two ways to clean your tank: a Simple Clean and a Thorough Clean.
A simple clean is ideal whenever you’re swapping flavors and doesn’t take too long to do. A simple clean involves the following steps:
- First, detach your tank from your vape, empty it, and take it apart. Make sure you remember where each part goes so that you don’t get confused reassembling it.
- Place the parts of your tank into a bowl of warm water (add a few drops of dish soap if you need some extra strength) and wash them with your hands.
- Let the pieces air dry for 10-15 minutes, or until they are properly dry. Then reassemble your tank, fill it with juice, and get back to vaping!
Thorough clean is great for a vape tank with lots of build-up and stains. While it has an extra step or two, a thorough clean will have your tank looking, and functioning, good as new.
The steps for a thorough clean are:
- First, detach your tank from your vape, empty it, and disassemble it.
- Dampen a cloth with alcohol (you can use ethanol or even vodka) and scrub each piece to get rid of build-up/stains.
- Rinse each piece with water and wipe it with a damp cloth, making sure to get rid of all the alcohol left behind.
- Let the pieces of your tank air dry for 10-15 minutes. Then reassemble your tank, fill it with your delicious liquid, and carry on vaping
If you use either of these cleaning methods, you can rest assured that you’ll be back to having fresh flavorful clouds in no time!
Cleaning Your Coils
The vape coil is the heating element you’ll find inside your device. Coils can be split into two types: Rebuildable Coils and Stock Coils.
Stock coils are ready-made coils that can usually be fastened onto the device by your hand. Rebuildable coils, however, are ones that will need to be attached by using a small screwdriver, or similar tool.
Rebuildable coils need to be ‘rewicked’ by the user and don’t come with cotton already installed.
Now, dirty coils can be the bane of any vaper’s day. You’ll know your coils need to be cleaned if:
- They are dark or crusted.
- You have a burnt or muted flavor.
- Your atomizer is leaking or spitting juice.
For stock coils, or if you’ve had your rebuildable coils for an extended period (more than two months), it might simply be time to replace them. However, if your rebuildable coils are not that old, you can take the following steps to revive them, and get your flavor back:
- Keep your atomizer attached to your mod and take the atomizer apart. Make sure you leave your coils attached to your RBA (Re-Buildable Atomizer) but remove the cotton wicks.
- Put your box mod to a lower wattage (around 35W) and slowly pulse heat the coils.
- When the coils start getting hot and sizzling, use ceramic tweezers or an old toothbrush to scrape off any build-up between each pulse. It’s probably best to do this over a garbage can, or outside.
- When all the gunk is removed from your coils, let the coils cool down, put in some fresh cotton, prime it with liquid, and get back to puffing those delicious clouds.
Cleaning Your Vape
Unfortunately, due to the batteries and electrical circuits, vape mods are rather difficult to clean.
Instead, make sure that you wipe your mod with a soft cloth or tissue whenever you see some liquid has gotten onto it. This will prevent liquid from leaking into your device and potentially damaging it.
A quick wipe will also get rid of any dust or dirt that has collected on the surface, keeping your mod looking shiny and new.
That concludes our tips and tricks for keeping your device clean and performing in tip-top condition.
If you follow these methods, you can keep your vaping experience at its best and avoid having to buy new coils (at least for a while) or replace a faulty device. Remember, a clean vape makes a happy vaper!