Do you have plans to quit smoking for good? Have you identified vaping as a viable, healthier alternative to smoking?
If so, there are a few things you need to understand first.
Vapers around the world will tell you how important it is to choose the correct vaping device. However, you should be more concerned about choosing a suitable vaping technique.
Once you’ve finalized your choice of vaping style, you can then select your vaping device (hardware and e-liquid) accordingly.
There are two fundamental vaping styles: Mouth-to-Lung (MTL) and Direct-to-Lung (DTL). These inhalation methods both have their equal share of advantages and disadvantages.
One technique isn’t better than the other here—it is just a matter of preference. Allow me to shed light on both styles, clear your doubts, and help you cement your approach towards a specific vaping technique.
What is MTL Vaping?
The MTL vaping style comes closest to mimicking the experience of smoking cigarettes. Therefore, adopt this style if you miss the sensation of smoking.
However, there’s a slight difference in how you MTL vape compared to how you smoke.
To vape MTL style:
- Step 1: Take a smooth drag into the mouth. Avoid taking short, sharp drags as you’ve been accustomed to while smoking a cigarette, and instead, ensure you take a longer drag.
- Step 2: Keep the vapor in your mouth for some seconds. As you do this, the vapor loses its potency, facilitating a smoother lung experience.
- Step 3: Next, inhale the vapor to the lungs while drawing in the air simultaneously.
- Step 4: Exhale.
If you want to try this technique, get an e-juice with high nicotine strength. Understand that only low-wattage mods with high-resistance coils are compatible with vape juices with high nicotine content.
If high-strength nicotine e-juice is too harsh on your throat, opt for high-strength nicotine salt.
Pros & Cons of MTL Vaping
- Easier to perform for new vapers
- Provides the closest experience to smoking a cigarette
- Allows you to taste more flavor
- Uses less e-liquid
- Smoother throat fit
- MTL mods can accommodate e-liquid of high nicotine strength
- MTL mods produce less vapor, so this style is great for those who want to vape discreetly
- Vape devices specifically made for MTL style are smaller and thus, more portable
- Short battery life
- MTL mods don’t have many features
- MTL mods have less power
- Less production of clouds
What is DTL Vaping?
The DTL (Direct-to-Lung) vaping style is also popularly known as “Straight to Lung” and “Direct Lung” vaping style.
As the name suggests, you simply inhale the vapor directly into your lungs to do this technique. This vaping style is usually preferred by cloud chasers and tricksters.
To execute this technique properly, remember your prime days in college when you used to take a bong hit like a pro.
To vape DTL style:
- Step 1: Take a slow and steady drag for around 3 to 5 seconds. No sharp drags are encouraged here.
- Step 2: Since this style doesn’t require you to hold the vapor in your mouth, let the vapor enter your lungs directly.
- Step 3: Exhale those large amounts of clouds.
For this vaping style, get yourself a powerful mod with low resistance coils.
Avoid using vape juices with high nicotine strength as you’d be consuming more vape juice with this style. You wouldn’t want to suffer from nicotine poisoning now, would you?
Vape juice with a higher mix of VG (vegetable glycerin) works best at producing large clouds.
Pros & Cons of DTL Vaping
- Powerful mods have longer battery life
- Outstanding production of clouds
- Powerful mods have more features such as airflow mechanism, accurate wattage control, TC modes, and variable wattage, paving the way for a more flexible vaping experience
- VG based e-liquids don’t hold as much flavor as PG based e-liquids
- The charging time of DTL mods can be the deal-breaker to many
- Massive consumption of e-juice
- Bulkier, less portable hardware
- DTL mods need more maintenance work
MTL vs DTL: What is Better for You?
Who is the MTL Vaping Style for?
If you’ve just made the transition from smoking to vaping, the MTL vaping style will come more naturally to you. As I have mentioned before, MTL comes closest to providing a smoking-like experience.
So, go for this vaping style if you want to relive your smoking days, albeit in a healthier manner.
The MTL style is also perfect for those who’d rather taste the flavor profile of their vape juices rather than create clouds.
This is because the MTL vaping technique can only be performed on low-wattage mods with high-resistance coils. Regrettably, low-wattage mods cannot produce large amounts of clouds, so if you want to blow out smoke like your favorite rappers in music videos, the MTL vaping style is not for you.
On the bright side, what the MTL style can do for you is allow you to get a soul-touching nicotine fix in a crowded environment without grabbing any attention. Since the MTL style uses less e-liquid, adopting it will be easier on your wallet as well.
Who is the DTL Vaping Style for?
Planning to fill your lungs to max capacity, perform the French Inhale and other vape tricks, and blow out large clouds to assert total dominance? If so, go for the DTL vaping style.
The DTL vaping style requires massive consumption of e-juice, so you’d need to keep purchasing new bottles of e-juice frequently. As you blow out clouds, you’re blowing out money too.
For a first-timer, it will take some time to get used to the DTL vaping style. However, as you learn to enjoy this technique to the fullest, you’ll start wondering why you ever smoked in the first place.
For the umpteenth time, there’s no clear winner when it comes to the best vaping style. In fact, there isn’t even a competition to start with.
One technique isn’t better than the other—it’s just a matter of preference. If you prefer the MTL style, don’t go around advocating its superiority over the DTL style and vice-versa.