Puff bars, like all disposable vaping devices and e-cigarettes, aren’t meant for recharging. A puff bar disposable device doesn’t have a charger, but sometimes e-cigarettes die before the e-juice is gone. You can make a charger for them when this happens, but it’s still better to replace them because even a recharged device may not work.
To recharge your disposable puff bar, you’ll need to take it apart and hook up the correct wires to a stripped USB cable to make a charger. Do not try to recharge a puff bar by connecting to a wall socket like a regular charger. Instead, use a power bank.
How to Recharge a Puff Bar?
Safety comes first when learning how to recharge a puff bar. Messing with unprotected wires isn’t a great idea, especially if you don’t know what you’re doing. So be careful when making a charger for a disposable vape pen.
Wear gloves whenever handling the exposed wires. Make sure everything is disconnected from the power until you are ready to start charging. Finally, don’t leave the bar alone while charging it.
Besides safety items, you’ll need an old USB cable (you can also use an old Bluetooth speaker wire), wire cutters, electrical tape, pliers/tweezers (with rubber covered handles), and a small flathead screwdriver.
- First, use the screwdriver to pry open the bottom of the disposable vape carefully. Then, pull out the contents.
- As you take out the battery, don’t disconnect it. Just pull it out enough to expose the wires. Pay attention to how everything was put together, including the black sensor protector, because you’ll need to put everything back the same way.
- Now, take the USB cord and cut off the charging end, leaving the USB connection side intact.
- Strip the rubber insulation around the USB wires. Expose about an inch for each wire.
- Secure the two wires that aren’t red, black, or silver. These two will likely be white and green. Tape them out of the way.
- There should be two wires left, a red one and a black or silver one. Carefully connect the red from the USB cord to the red on the puff bar. Make sure the wires are only touching themselves and nothing else.
- Do the same with the puff bar’s black cord and the USB cord’s black or silver one. Basically, you are connecting the positive and negative terminals to create a circuit.
- Plug the USB cord into the power bank and turn it on.
- Let the puff bar charge on your make-shift charger for a few minutes at a time. Do not leave it unattended.
- Once it’s charged for about 5 minutes, take the vape off the charger and reassemble it. Make sure to disconnect the power before touching anything else.
- Now test the vape pen out to see if the titanium battery needs more charging time.
Even if you follow these steps, the device may not work.
Conversely, if you run out of vape juice before the battery dies, you can add some more. Just pop off the top cap, take out both the cotton pads and the silicon underneath them. Then you’ll see a small layer of more cotton. Add three or four drops of e-liquid (one drop of e-juice on each side and one in the middle) to the remainder of the cotton.
As mentioned, recharging a disposable vape is time-consuming and risky. Ultimately, Puff bars shouldn’t be recharged. The smarter option might be to buy a new device.
The biggest danger in repairing a vape is that these devices typically do not have a protective circuit board.
That said, I can understand and respect trying to get the most out of something.
So to help you stay safe while you tinker, here are a few possible risks to consider.
- Most devices will just fall apart when you open them. Manufacturers make these e-cigarettes so that they’ll live out their life cycle, and that’s it, so trying to charge them might not work anyway.
- Mismatched wires. If you don’t connect the wires to the battery correctly, you could destroy the battery or even overload it, causing it to explode.
- You may overcharge your vape. Since recharging a disposable device is not recommended, it does not have any circuitry or batteries to recharge it. Also, if you leave the battery hooked up for too long, it can damage the battery. It can also begin to overheat, which could damage other parts.
- Short circuit. If the two hanging wires touch, they could short circuit and damage the bank and your puff bar.
- You may be unable to put the original puff bar back together. If you force pieces to come apart, you could damage them to the point that they won’t fit back together as they should.
Hopefully, none of the above issues occur, and you’ll be able to get the most out of your puff bar. More than that, though, hopefully, you don’t injure yourself while attempting to recharge your device.
But, overall, in the end, it is safer, easier, and more worthwhile just to replace the puff bar or buy a vape that has a charger.
Finally, remember that vape devices are not healthy as they contain volatile organic compounds that can endanger your health. Also, these products usually contain nicotine, and nicotine is an addictive chemical.